Things to know about burma population
General information about myanmar
burma or the Republic of the Union of myanmar shortened to myanmar, is a sovereign state in Southeast Asia. Myanmar is the 24th most populous country in the world, and the 40th largest country by area. The 2018 estimated burma population is 53.86 million citizen.
The country is very ethnically various with 135 ethnic groups recognized by the government. There are at least 108 ethnolinguistic groups in myanmar. The Bamar account for around 68% of the population, followed by the Shan (10%), Kayin (7%), Rakhine (4%) and overseas Chinese (3%). Ethnic minorities in the country prefer to be called ethnic nationalities to fight against the proliferation of the dominant Bamar people. Other ethnic groups include the Mon (2%), Overseas Indians (2%) and the Kachin, Chin, Anglo-Indians, Nepali, and Anglo-Burmese.
burma - the country of longstanding culture
Statistics of population in myanmar
- The current population of burma (formerly Burma) is 53,776,808 as of Friday, may 4, 2018, based on the latest United Nations estimates.
- myanmar population is equivalent to 0.71% of the total world population.
- burma ranks number 26 in the list of countries (and dependencies) by population.
- The population density in myanmar is 82 per Km2 (214 people per mi2).
- The total land area is 653,290 Km2 (252,237 sq. Miles)
- 36.8 % of the population is urban (19,810,930 people in 2018)
- The median age in burma is 27.9 years.
In 2018, Burma's population is expected to increase by 485,126 and reach 54,097,911 in early 2019. Natural population growth is forecast to be positive, as the number of births will outnumber the death to 500,920.
If the migration status remains the same as in the previous year, the population will drop to -15,794. That means that the number of people moving to burma to settle will be less than the number of citizen leaving the country to settle in another country.
According to the estimates, Myanmar's daily population change rate in 2018 will be as follows: 2,582 children are born on average per day 1,210 citizen die on average per day -43 migrants averaged per day Myanmar's population will develop by an average of 1,329 people per day in 2018.
Things to know about burma population
1. Burma's population density
The population density of burma is 82 citizen per square kilometer as of 04/05/2018. Population density is calculated by dividing the population of burma by the total area of the country. The total area is the total land area and water within Myanmar's international and coastal boundaries. According to the General Statistics Office of the United Nations, the total area of burma is 653,407 km2.
2. Age structure of myanmar
Population data by age (estimated):
- 14,990,837 people under 15 years of age (7,638,066 males / 7,352,771 females), accounting for 27.5% of the population
- 36,813,495 citizen aged 15-64 years (18,284,010 male / 18,529,485 female), accounting for 67.5% of the population
- 2,745,493 citizen over 64 years of age (1,196,278 men / 1,549,215 women), accounting for 5% of the population
The myanmar population density map
3. Percentage of dependent population by age
The proportion of the dependent population is the proportion of people who are unable to work (dependent) on a country's workforce. Dependencies include the population under 15 years of age and people 65 years or older. The labor force consists of a population aged 15 to 64. The total dependency ratio in burma is 47.7%.
- Percentage of dependent children:
The proportion of dependent children is the proportion of people below the working age (under 15 years of age) relative to the workforce of a country. The proportion of dependent children in myanmar is 38.9%.
- Percentage of Dependent Elderly: The percentage of elderly dependents is the
percentage of people above the working age (65+) relative to the workforce of a country. The proportion of elderly dependents in burma is 8.8%.
4. Life Expectancy
Life expectancy is one of the most important demographic indicators. It tells the time from when a person is born until he dies.
The total life expectancy (both sexes) in burma is 66.8 years. This figure is lower than the life expectancy of the world population (72 years).
The average age of men is 64.4 years. The average life expectancy for women is 69.1 years.
According to our estimate, 36,845,241 people or 93.14% of the adult population (aged 15 and over) in myanmar can read and write. About 2,713,747 adults are illiterate.
6. The most populous city of burma
Yangon is located in the south of myanmar, near the junction of Yangon River and Bago River. It is only about 600 km2 but with more than 7 million inhabitants, it is the largest city, the most populous city, and the largest industrial and commercial center in the country. Yangon is not a motorbike, a tourist site cannot be ignored if you come to burma.
Yangon - The most populous city of burma
7. Religious distribution in the burma population
Of the 54 million citizen in myanmar, 90% profess Theravada Buddhism (roughly 48 million), 4% Christianity (1.65 million Baptists and 550,000 Roman Catholics), 4% Islam (2.2 million), 1% Hinduism (550,000), and the remaining 1% consists of Mahayana Buddhism, Vajrayana Buddhism, and Animism.
Here is some useful information about the population of myanmar for those who love and want to learn about this golden temple country.